Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2009

the case of the opera glasses

Ok, so there really isn’t any case to speak of… I just liked the way it sounded as a subject. One summer I was being nosy and rifling through some drawers in the maine house. In one of the drawers in the hallway to my parents room, I found some beautiful opera glasses that had belonged to my great-grandmother. They were house in a gorgeous delicate blue beaded bag and inscribed with ‘kate miller 1868’ and the glasses themselves still worked and had mother of pearl inlayed. I showed my parents my excellent finding and made the stupid mistake of asking if I could accidentally pack them in my suitcase. I mean come on: like the hobag wanted them or even knew they were there and my granddad I’m sure was oblivious that they even existed. They were never going to go looking for them and they would never know they were missing. Besides – they had my namesake on them so they were clearly meant to be mine at some point. But, being the good girl I am I relunctantly put them back in the drawer. Then, in dec of 2007 when my granddad died my dad who was already in Portland for work went to the maine house with hobag to retrieve some photos from the house for use as a slideshow picture memorial of my granddad at his service. Being the well raised, good mannered boy my dad is, he actually asked the hobag if he could have them to give to me. Which sounds nice, but he already knew what the will said and how he and his sibs had been effectively cut out of it and you’ve read about hobag and how vindictive she is! She let him have it, but my uncle (who has tons of conspiracy theories about hobag) was convinced that she’d try and use that against us – as in what else could you ungrateful horrible miserable shitty children want?! So now these beautiful opera glasses are in a display case where they ought to be hanging in my room.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

these are beautiful

Holly said...

Those are so cool, and I LOVE the bag! Your house is going to be like a museum with all your Nana's stuff.