Yes, there is more. But this is the last of it. This time we roamed around the village for just a bit. The village is a 10 min walk or a 3 min drive from our house which is quite convenient. When I was little my friends and I would walk up to the village to shop or hang out. It is a completely different village these days with new buildings, shops, parking structures, restaurants, and bars. So we explored the various boutiques around there and ended up getting me a couple of summer tops. That evening, my parents had a church function. They went, I stayed home. Once they got home, we packed up the cats (all three of them) in their carriers and loaded up the car to head to the lake. We got there around 11ish and hung out for awhile before going to bed.
At the lake
We spent Thursday going in to Livingston which is the closest ‘big’ town to the lake and about a 40 min drive. We needed to visit the bank and then eat lunch and do some antiquing b/c my parents love that. It was fun… until I got super bored and was ready to head back already! Back at the lake, we spent the afternoon lazing around and driving the golf cart. Golf carting is a sport around there for us. Later that night, we went looking for wildlife and usually spot possums, loads of deer, and armadillos. But that night all we saw were a few deer. Then we decided to have smores and went across the street from our house (on the cart of course) where there was a burn going on and used that to roast the marshmallows as we were way too lazy to start our own fire!
On Friday, we did more golf carting and I also worked on restoring my dollhouse. I got my dollhouse in second or third grade as a birthday present from my parents. It’s a beautiful Victorian style 2 story place with a cupola. It’s painted blue with white trim and a pretty wrap around porch. It desperately needs help. Not only has it been sitting in a very hot attic for almost 15 years, I ‘painted’ it with a friend of mine on the inside and wow, we did a terrible job! When I was younger, my nana and I loved to go dollhouse shopping and she would buy me all kinds of wonderful things for it sometimes just because and sometimes for my bday or xmas. In addition to the house and furnishings, I also had a stable with horses, a greenhouse, and a play swingset. Let’s just say I had a pretty pimp dollhouse – with the exception of my painting job. So now I am restoring it by sanding it and repainting and staining it. It is missing about half of the roof’s shingles, but that will stay that way. My nana would come to Houston about once a month for years when she was going thru chemo and she’d always work on the dollhouse with me. She was the one who started the shingles on the roof and she never got the chance to finish it. I’m sure she’d think it was silly that I refuse to finish it (she’d never say so tho!) and I know my mom thinks I should finish it, but she says it’s my dollhouse and I can do what I want with it. I choose to leave it as my nana left it as it was her/our project and I’m sentimental like that. And then, just like that I had to leave that afternoon. But, alex was at the airport waiting to pick me up!
2 comments:
don't you love going back to something you put so much care and thought into as a kid and find out you did a crappy job? like seriously that's painting inside the lines?
your mom's totally right - your doll house your choice on all things related to it!
oh i've known for years i did a crappy job!! and now, i have a lot of sanding and refinishing and painting... i wish i could have more time there. maybe i'll take another trek home. is that considered running away from my problems?? it might be...
but i think all of us girls should have a weekend there. the locals won't know what hit them!
Post a Comment